8 Things That Happen When a Woman Shaves Her Face
History of Women Shaving Their Faces
Women shaving their faces!!! WHAT!?
While it is a fairly new thing in North America, in Asia (particularly Japan), this is commonplace. There are even salons that strictly offer this service which they call kao sori, meaning ‘shaved face’. Go back a few decades, and famous actresses like Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor shaved their faces. And then go even further back in time, and you’ll learn that Cleopatra, the ruler of Egypt herself, shaved her face. As you can see, it’s not really a new trend, but rather, an old trend that is becoming popular once again.
The concept of a woman shaving her face is still a tough one to accept because there is a well-known myth that shaving your face will cause your hair to grow back thicker and darker. This is simply NOT true. The reason it appears thicker is because the hair is cut bluntly and when the hair grows back, it looks darker because it hasn’t had a chance to become naturally sun-bleached.
Despite being such a controversial topic, the fact is, there are many benefits to shaving your face whether you’re male or female.
Benefits of Shaving Your Face
- Exfoliates – When you use a facial scrub, you just move the dead skin cells around; when you shave, you actually remove those dead skin cells completely!
- Unclogs Pores – As you exfoliate, the next thing that happens is that your skin can finally release all the trapped dirt and oils. Your skin will finally be thoroughly cleansed!
- Removes Pesky Peach Fuzz – If you have very noticeable vellus hairs, you’ll be glad that shaving will finally rid you of this nuisance.
- Eases Make-up Application – A great secondary benefit of removing the fuzzy hairs, is that now your make-up will glide on smoothly!! You’ll finally get that true flawless look!!
- Slows Aging Process – Because shaving promotes cellular turnover, your skin is renewing itself more frequently. This means your skin is constantly repairing itself, in effect, slowing down the aging process.
- Promotes Cellular Turnover – Shaving promotes collagen production which is what your skin needs to renew and repair skin cells.
- Increases Absorption of Skincare – Because the dead skin cells are removed, your pores are cleared, and your peach fuzz is gone, your skin care products can be more readily absorbed.
- Improves Complexion – When your skin is free of dead skin cells and peach fuzz, your skin will look more vibrant and smooth and even GLOW!
How to Get the Best Results
So how do you get the best results?
Well, the best recommendation would be to have this treatment done professionally. Dermatologists use the term dermaplaning, which consists of using a scalpel to scrape off the top layer of your skin.
If you want to do this treatment at home, there is a safer way to do this. Razors specifically designed to remove facial hairs are found at many beauty stores. Do not use men’s razors or razors that are meant for shaving your legs! These facial razors are much smaller and more delicate for your skin.
This is what facial razors look like:
Technique (on dry skin):
- Pull the skin taut.
- Hold the razor at a 45 degree angle against the skin.
- Use short downward strokes.
- When you’re done, don’t forget to MOISTURIZE!
Have you ever shaved your face? Would you ever shave your face? Comment below!